Cromwell looks like a modern town, but its history goes back to the gold rush days of the 1800s. Cromwell had undergone a major change in the 1980s, when parts of the town were flooded on purpose during the creation of the Clyde Dam power station. The best of the town's historic buildings were relocated to create 'Old Cromwell Town' which has become a feature attraction for visitors.
Other activities and attractions that make great experiences for visitors include four-wheel driving the many hill tracks, trekking and mountain biking, visiting the Central Otago vineyards, exploring the old stone buildings and the Museum and visiting roadside fruit stalls which are a delicious temptation during summer
The winter ski fields of The Remarkables, Coronet Peak, Treble Cone, Cardrona, and Waiorau Snow Farm are all within an easy driving distance and there is also a range of comfortable places to stay, from quality hotels to cabins for backpackers.
Cromwell was originally known as "The Junction," being at the confluence of the Clutha and Kawarau Rivers. In 1862, gold was discovered below the Junction by two miners, Hartley and Reilly. Once the word of a gold strike was out, there was an influx of several thousand miners to the area.
Other Towns in the Central Otago Region